What you need to know about ESEF?
New Format Issued by ESMA for Annual Financial Reporting
As part of the constant effort to improve transparency, ESMA has issued a new reporting format – ESEF (European Single Electronic Format), for all companies listed on the stock markets in the European Union. The primary reason for introducing a new format is to:-
● Increase transparency in the EU and EEA (European Economic Area) regulated markets.
● Make financial reports comparable regardless of the format, structure, or language.
● Enable investors, public authorities, issuers, and other users of financial statements to carry out analysis of such information in a better way.
What are the Latest ESEF Reporting Requirements?
The new format comes with additional reporting requirements which need to be complied with effect from financial years beginning on/after January 1, 2020, such as:-
● All the annual financial reports must be prepared and published in the XHTML format.
● If the annual financial reports are prepared in IFRS and have consolidated financial statements, they must also be tagged with XBRL elements to generate Inline XBRL or iXBRL iXBRL provides a standard format that is both machines as well as human-readable and is compatible with any standard web browser.
What are the Benefits of Reporting in ESEF?
● For Supervisory Bodies
The new ESEF reporting format leads to greater data transparency and comparability and allows quick as well as an accurate analysis of not only individual companies but also the entire capital market.
● For Listed Companies
The stringent quality checks and validations of the ESEF reporting format ensure a reduction in the number of reporting errors, thereby resulting in an accurate representation of the financial status of the company. The new format significantly reduces the instances of amended filing.
● For Investors
With the financial data being available in just a few clicks, the investors and shareholders can experience an efficient process of access to information quickly and comprehensively. With some of the software assuring fully validated iXBRL, investors and shareholders can rely on the data for their analysis and comparison. This is imperative, especially for financial analysis, as potential investors need an accurate picture of finances before investing in a company.
It’s Not Just About Compliance
The ESEF reporting system goes beyond compliance; it helps in increased comparability, high data quality, and greater transparency, all of which are crucial for companies.
To help issuers comply with the new reporting system, DataTracks, a renowned global leader in XBRL solutions, is offering innovative cloud-based software as well as managed services for smarter compliance reporting and disclosure management that allows its users to import Annual Report in multiple formats, including rich design PDF, and generate XHTML or iXBRL by retaining the input layout.
Specialists in XBRL and regulatory reports
DataTracks prepares more than 14,000 XBRL statements annually for filing with regulators such as SEC in the United States, HMRC in the United Kingdom, Revenue in Ireland, Eurofiling compliance reports in Europe, ACRA in Singapore and MCA in India. Honed by our experience of preparing more than 185,000 compliance reports, our solutions and services are designed to assure quality, reliability and ease of use.